Finding God in All Things

September 30th, 2013 mpwhit14

Things I dig about Holy Cross number whatever:  the Jesuit Tradition.  Today we celebrated the Jesuit Heritage mass on campus.  The 7pm service was packed with students and the entire Jesuit community was present.  Fr. Corkery, a visiting priest and professor from Ireland, said the liturgy.  His homily focused on the many slogans of the Jesuits that we hear so often at Holy Cross, particularly, “finding God in all things”.

Finding God in all things.  Right now, that is hanging on a banner around the Hoval, along with the other mottoes:  “Men and women for others.”  “Contemplatives in action.”  “Ad maiorem Dei gloriam. (For the greater glory of God)”  These phrases are at the very core of everything we do at Holy Cross.  You don’t have to be Jesuit, or Catholic, or even Christian for them to apply.  Honestly, most of the time I don’t even realize how my job as an RA helps me be a woman for and with others, or how long hours spent working on a term paper help me seek and find God… but it does!

When it comes to service, I am a little late to the party – but I finally joined a SPUD program (I haven’t been in one since freshman year!) and I am hoping to get more involved.  Luckily, there are a million and a half ways for that to happen! Tonight, I am feeling so lucky to be at Holy Cross, where they are very good at doing exactly what Fr. Corkery discussed in his homily:  “seeking and finding God in all things… in people and in sunsets, in scenes of suffering and in moments of joy.”

So, that’s something else I love about Holy Cross.  We are so steeped in Jesuit tradition that every student knows these slogans by heart, and most try to really live by them.  SPUD holds a recruitment night at the beginning of every year and the line to get in is so long that they have to give people timed-entry tickets.  I went to my first Pax Christi meeting this week, and the room was full of so many joyful and passionate people that I know I will be returning again and again.  There is always an event to participate in and a cause to support, be it Relay for Life or a walk for autism awareness or Dance Marathon, which raises money and awareness for pediatric HIV.  Spring Break Immersion Trips are generally considered the greatest experience one can possibly have.  The people at Holy Cross are absolutely inspiring – they believe they can change the world, and I believe they will.

AMDG!