Goodbyes

July 29th, 2013 mpwhit14

Goodbyes are hard.  They are always hard.  They are especially hard, however, at a program like where I am now.  My fellow interns and I have thrown ourselves into our work for six weeks now.  We have lived and breathed and thought about nothing but the kids we were teaching.  And now, all of a sudden, it’s over.

Even though I have just been through an incredible, harrowing, transforming experience with 37 other interns, I am likely never going to see these people again.  So, goodbyes are hard.  However, when I left Rome, goodbyes were hard.  When my semester in Greece came to a close, goodbyes were hard.  At the end of every school year, when I see the graduating seniors for often the last time, goodbyes are hard.

And now, senior year is really starting.  I bring it up all the time, I know… but I am grappling with the concept!  It’s senior year of college!  It’s my last year on the Hill!  I am not sure if I am going to be able to face it.  I love Holy Cross – really, truly, head-over-heels, LOVE it.  Saying goodbye is going to be the hardest goodbye of my life.

This only goes to show:  I am so lucky to have had these experiences.  I am blessed to have met the people that make saying goodbye so hard.