Week fifteen… and beyond: A return to normalcy

May 4th, 2013 mpwhit14

It has been a week now since I left Rome.  My last week in the Eternal City was overwhelmed by finals, packing, and last-minute sightseeing.  I tried to relax and just walk around the city, just soaking it in, just me and Roma… one last time.  My friends and I went to a papal audience to bid arrivederci to Pope Francis, who will forever be our pope.  On our last night, we spent the whole night out in the city, walking.  We threw our coins in the Trevi fountain.  We danced in front of the Colosseum.  We stood on our hill, Monte Mario, looking out over the dome of St. Peter’s, and watched the sunrise while swallowing our tears and shivering from the cold morning air.

Taking advantage of my long zoom.

Just before dawn in Rome. How I love this city!

But, there are always things to do and places to be.  Soon, the time ran out and I was on a bus to the airport to catch my flight to America.  I was sad – I am still sad! – to leave Rome, but oh did it feel good to be back in the States again!  I stopped in Worcester on my way home to see my friends and the classics department, all of whom I have missed so much this year.  I even hitched a ride to the last ballroom competition of the year, where I was so excited to meet the freshmen dancers and support my team (and I caught the dancing bug again.  To my partner Andrew:  come home so we can swing!).

Lauren and Chris, looking FANTASTIC on the rhythm floor. I really did not realize how much I missed competitions until I got there that morning.

One of the best parts about Holy Cross? Hanging out with the lovely Emma whom I haven't seen in over a year!

And then even in Worcester my time ran out, and I was just as sad to leave the Hill as I was leaving Rome.  Holy Cross has always been and will ever be my home away from home – I’ve said it before, but the worst part about being abroad was not being on Mt. St. James!  And yet, every time I leave someplace I love, I end up somewhere else that I love more, because I am living a very blessed life.

I am home for real now, and I have finally had some time to myself to breathe and reflect on this whole, insane, amazing year.  I cannot shake that one phrase that has echoed through this blog all year, and perhaps all of my three years as a Crusader:

How, how, how did I get so lucky?

I would like to say that my year abroad has changed me, but I know that isn’t true.  I am still me.  But something has changed.  Something feels different, and I am not sure what it is.  Maybe I am looking at the world differently.  Maybe my world is looking at me differently.  Maybe I have a new appreciation for my hometown, or for Worcester, or for Boston.  Maybe I have a greater sense of adventure… or maybe I have a greater love for staying home.

Maybe I am just still adjusting to the fact that everyone speaks English here.

Whatever it is, something has changed, and it is a good change.  While I was at Holy Cross this weekend I somehow got roped into talking about study abroad with the classics majors going away next year.  I gripe, but I not-so-secretly loved the opportunity to talk about my year and answer all the questions my friends have – the same questions I had a year ago about Athens and Rome (the two most beautiful cities in the world and the loves of my life!).  I cannot contain my excitement for them as they begin this adventure that I just finished.  They have no idea what is coming.  They cannot fathom, as I did not fathom, just how incredible the year (or semester) abroad will be, just how transformative it is, just how life-changing the year will be, just how lucky they are… yet.

Yet.

I almost wish I were joining them (bright-eyed, unknowing and nervous) and doing it all again!

But I have a new adventure to take on now.  I thank God every day for my blessed, blessed life… and now it’s time to get on with it.

Arrivederci, Roma.  Yassou, Athene.  I’ll be seeing you.

As always, the prettiest view in the whole city.

So… senior year, anyone?