Week fourteen: Rome is love spelled backwards.

April 20th, 2013 mpwhit14

It is the last week of classes and I am just in shock.  Spring has come to Rome!  Everything is blooming and it is starting to feel like summer vacation… I certainly don’t want to sit in class, but I also cannot accept that this is the end.

Sometimes, I walk around and I run into buildings like this and it just seems so quintessentially Roman and I fall in love with this city all over again.

You know all that stuff I was saying about how I am tired and ready to go home?  That’s still true, for the most part.  I am ready to go home.  But the thought of leaving beautiful Roma… oh, it’s breaking my heart.  I read the other day that “Rome is love spelled backwards,” and it is absolutely, undeniably true.

[Because “Roma” backwards is “Amor” and that means love… get it?  Get it?  So clever.]

This week the J-Force held its end of the semester banquet, and that is when I fully realized what is coming.  The end of the semester.  The end of the adventure.  The moment when I have to bid all these beautiful people and this beautiful city and this experience that has changed me so much good-bye, maybe forever…  I have been repeating this to myself (and on this blog) over and over and over all semester in hopes of preparing myself for this moment.

But it didn’t work.

Oh, Roma, how can I say good-bye?

Mark my words: I'll be back.

On a more pressing note:  Though I am consumed with Rome, my thoughts and prayers are truly in Boston this week.  I am, like everyone, dumbstruck and scared.  Please, keep staying safe.